Another sew of the Declan Pullover from Peek-a-Boo patterns, this time I’m adding a hood and lining it in contrasting fabric.
The Declan pattern is great for using up scraps because the placket looks so cute in a contrasting colour but it doesn’t use a lot of fabric. I had just a little scrap of this deep burgundy lining fabric but it was plenty to line the hood and make the placket.
The actual top itself is really simple and straightforward. I love sewing patterns that are basic but have a little bit of detailing, something “extra” about them instead of a plain and boring garment.
My favourite feature of this pattern is the fact that it can be made up in just about any slightly stretchy fabric. I have loads of cheap jersey that I bought because it was too cheap to walk away!! I should have known better, you get what you pay for! Mostly it’s perfectly fine fabric but it doesn’t have enough stretch to make into T-shirts or enough recovery to cope with any sort of stress on the fibres. Thanks to the placket opening the Declan doesn’t need to stretch over the head. The stretch fabric is simply to allow comfort and ease of wearing (aka rough and tumble play). I’ve sewn this pattern from old T-shirts, cheap jersey as well as fleece which worked really well. I’m actually planning to try to in woven fabric next but that’s another post for another day.
For this sewing project my fabric choices were entirely dictated by what i had to hand. I was going through my stretch fabric stash to make some pyjamas for Little Miss for Christmas and this rather sad looking metre of fabric was left at the bottom of the box. I wanted to get it used up and knew that Little Miss would love the floral design on the fabric. It’s a bit lightweight and flimsy so I knew I’d need to make the placket in a contracting fabric and I found this perfectly co-ordinating burgundy lining fabric in my inherited stash.
As I started cutting out the pattern pieces I realised there was going to be an annoyingly small scrap of fabric leftover so I figured I’d add the hood option. For once serendipity applied and I had almost exactly the right amount of lining fabric to line the hood with.
I did make a mistake and assumed that the hood, like the placket and polo collar would be fine in woven fabric. Unfortunately not, the hood does need to stretch just a little bit to fit the neck neatly. I’ve been left with some quite nasty puckers in the hood outer fabric as I’ve forced it to conform to the lack of stretch in the lining. Oh well, sewing is all about learning isn’t it?
Why is it that no matter how big your button stash is you can never find just the right button??!? Seriously, please tell me it’s not just me!?!
These pearly vintage buttons were the best I could do. I’m not too sure about them but I think they may grow on me and Little Miss will probably like them.
One of these days I will learn to measure the positioning of my buttons before sewing them in place. I always rush it and put them in the centre of my button holes which seems sensible but it never ever looks right when I do it like that. Another lesson I need to learn!!
On the Inside
I love these little garment labels I got off eBay. I mostly bought them for selling my clothes on Etsy, it’s a legal requirement in the UK that the garment care instructions should be included. They can be added on a removable tag but having them on a garment label looks so much more professional.
This is the first time I’ve added the little size label too. I’m getting very tired of having to check my records to see what size a garment is when I sell my kids old clothes.
I keep changing my mind about the label placement. At first I put them in the left hand side seam, this is the standard position in manufactured clothes. Putting the label on the side means that it’s not irritating the back of the child’s neck and I’m all for avoiding irritating my kids. But then my kids kept putting their clothes on back to front because there wasn’t a label at the back of the neck to guide them. So I started putting the label at the back instead. But now Little Miss has told me they itch and so it’s back to the side seam. I’m going to have to find another way to show them which is the back of their tops and pants. School clothes are OK as I hand sew a name label into the centre back but there’s no way I’m doing that for all of their clothes!! I’m open to suggestions if anyone has any?
I do hope you have enjoyed having a peak at my latest sewing project. Please feel free to use my handmade crafts to inspire your own creations, pin it to your Pinterest for later.
Linking Up To: Create, Bake, Grow & Gather Party #485 . Beautifully Made Link Party 180 . All About Home Link Party #109 . The Creative Lovers Link Up #36 . The Really Crafty Link Party #281 . September Craftastic Monday Link Party . Handmade Monday #245 . Inspire Me Monday – Week 504 . Dare to Share #485 . Saturday Sparks Link Party 439
A Little Bit About Me . . .
Thank you so much for stopping by my corner little of the interweb. I’m Bridie, mum to two small humans, full time homemaker and full time craftaholic – which totally explains why I’m always short on time!
I’ve included links to my favourite retailers for the products I’ve used to make my crafts. Click on any of the product images and links for full details. If you decide to buy any of these products I may get a small percentage of what you spend. There’s no cost to you at all.